During the initial COVID-19 shutdown, I was privileged to be invited to participate in an international challenge for textiles artists entitled Magic Carpet. The resultant exhibition is now online – just tap on the link.
I am currently enjoying a fabulous holiday in the northwest of WA. Today we visited the spectacular Turquoise Bay-a favourite haunt for many years. 6 years ago, I made an award winning wall hanging of the scene which still looked the same today (except I left the sunning bathing bodies out of today’s photo!)
During the recent COVID-19 lockdown, I participated in an international challenge with the theme Magic Carpet. The pieces will be shown in an online exhibition which opens on 1st August. I will share the link once it opens.
It was time to make something really bright! And this very large lap quilt certainly is. I am planning to make some co-ordinating cushion covers – so watch out for them.
I have spent the last couple of days making up cushions from last year’s travel projects. I stitched a sashiko panel during a train trip across Canada which I cut up and supplemented and made into 4 cushions. The 5th cushion was made from a boro panel was made during a holiday in Switzerland. When will we get to travel overseas again?
Japanese boro is a technique developed in the 19th and 20th centuries where remnants of used fabric were stitched together to form utilitarian items such as clothing and bedding. This technique has regained popularity as it creates beautiful textured and interesting pieces. When traveling, I always have some hand sewing to accompany me and often it is a piece of boro fabric. I stitch patches of Japanese fabric together by hand to form one piece of fabric which I then make up into something on my return home. I have just made up a couple of bags using the boro fabric that I made up during my Christmas trip to Europe (seems a long time ago now!). One bag is made from cotton patches and the other from silk. The bags are lined and would make a perfect gift.
From my very large box of ‘scraps’, I made new fabric in 10 different colour ways. I then used each ‘new’ piece of fabric in another Drunkards Path block quilt. Coloured quilted circles completed the picture. It would make a lovely wall hanging or quilt and if no-one buys it, I might put it in my sewing room!
Becoming a bit fed up with circles, I then decided to make a quilt with squares, albeit from material with circles on it! Again this quilt can be used as a quilt or wall hanging. The black and white quilt has a few touches of colour and, if you look really carefully, you can see that there are a couple of red and yellow lines in the quilting grid.
I have never made a quilt using the traditional ‘Drunkards Path’ block, so I thought I’d have a go. Using my favourite Kaffe Fassett material, I am very pleased with the result.
Lots of time for sewing now! Yesterday, I looked at my batik fabrics and made this simple quilt. At present, it is just the quilted strips which is lovely in itself. But it would lend itself to some sort of appliqué being added. As an example, this has been done ‘electronically’ below with the addition of a kangaroo – but it could be a koala, a piece of coral or a symbol – you choose. The quilt then effectively becomes a background to the object of interest.